Your heating system consists of several different components. Due to this, there are many reasons it can malfunction. Determining the reason should be a task performed by a professional. It is also important to know the basics in order to understand the urgency of a repair. Following, are some of the most common reasons for heating repairs in NJ.
Your thermostat communicates with your system when it is time to turn on and turn off. When this is not working properly it can cause no heat, no fan to force the heat or inconsistent temperatures. This is one of the easier components to diagnose.
Mechanical Wear and Tear
Just as your clothing experiences wear and tear, so does your furnace. The furnace consists of belts, bearings and fan motors. After time, these can all cause your furnace to overwork and potentially overheat. Unless you are knowledgeable with the makeup of a common furnace, a professional should always be called to determine what mechanical components need to be replaced.
Pilot Control or Ignition Control Problems
These are two major elements to your furnace. Anytime these experience malfunctions it will result in no heat or erratic heat. Furnaces have modernized over the years. There are two main types of ignition systems, hot surface ignition and intermittent pilot. Both function in different ways and can produce distinctive issues, see below.
- Hot surface ignition switch uses an electronic heating element to ignite the gas burner. There are a few reasons for malfunction. It could be time for replacement from the normal use. The average lifespan of a switch is 3-5 years. There could be dust buildup or clogged filters. Having a replacement switch is a good idea, especially during the cold winter months in NJ.
- Intermittent pilot switches use an electric spark to ignite the gas pilot then the main burners.
Anytime a furnace will not light, there are a few troubleshooting tasks you can try. Double-check the main circuit breaker for a possible blown fuse. Make sure your thermostat is on the right setting. In addition, try dusting the thermostat contactors. If these tasks do not fix the problem, call a professional to diagnose the cause.
Clogged or Dirty Filters
Clogged or dirty filters are one of the most common reasons for decreased heating function. When filters are clogged or dirty reduces the airflow of the system. This can cause added pressure to other components, including the fan. It is recommended to replace your filter monthly to avoid these possibilities.
Lack of Maintenance
Just as you have routine maintenance on your car, your furnace also requires preventative maintenance. Neglecting this can cause higher energy bills, overworking systems, breakdowns and costly repairs. It is recommended to have a complete maintenance service during the fall season to avoid issues once winter arrives. This should be performed by a qualified technician to ensure all elements are properly evaluated. According to a recent Structure Tech article, the following is a partial list of typical tasks performed by a professional.
- Combustion gases are analyzed and compared to the unit specifications.
- The heat exchanger is inspected for rust and corrosion.
- The drainage system will be checked for blockage and leakage. This includes hoses to the furnace.
- Burners will be checked for proper ignition, burner flame, and flame sense.
- Wiring checked for corrosion and damage.
- All filters will be checked. Keep in mind that these should be replaced monthly.
- The vent system is checked for blockage and leakage.
- Fresh intake grills and louvers need to be checked for blockage.
Some homeowners believe this can be a DIY project. However, if you are not extremely knowledgeable in the heating field, a professional should be used.
Heating repair covers several different elements of your system. The use of a replicable heating and air company should be used. In the NJ area, Dynamic Air employs highly trained technicians for all heating repairs. They are available 24/7 for emergencies. To schedule a service call or schedule annual maintenance, contact us.